Sunday, September 21, 2014

Coolest Oatmeal Walnut Cranberry Vegetarian Cookies


It has been quite sometime that I write baking recipes on my blog. I love baking, it was kind of like de-stress therapy. My little girl always tell me, when I cook or bake anything that she likes, please put it on the blog. When the day she became an grown up adult & when she miss my cooking, she will check out on my website. I asked, how about my collections of cook books & notes? Who will inherit it? She says, it is all mine. Sweet.Yeah, this is one of her favorite cookies.
I always make extra & share with my kid's ex-nanny, Carole.

Ingredients:
150g Brown sugar
128g Big roll oatmeal
192g AP flour
pinch of salt

112g unsalted butter (can replaced by canola oil if you like, cookies will be slightly hard)
6tbsp pure maple syrup
1tsp baking soda
2 tbsp of boiling water
1tsp vanilla essence

1 cup of walnut (roughly chopped)
1 cup dried cranberry

Method:
1) Preheat oven to 160C. Line baking tray with silicone sheets or parchment paper.
2) Mix oatmeal, flour, salt, sugar in a big bowl. Put aside.
3) Melt the butter in a saucepan using small heat, cook until golden brown about 5 mins. Careful, don't burn it.
4) Remove from heat & stir in maple syrup & vanilla essence.
5) Add boiling water & baking soda in a small bowl, stir vigorously to dissolve & pour immediately into the brown butter mixture. Stir quickly & it will become foamy.
6) Pour this butter mixture into the dry ingredients.
7) Mix quickly with a few strokes & fold in walnut and cranberry.
8) Do not let the mixture sits for too long. It need to be done quickly. Otherwise, it will become difficult to handle.

9)Use an ice cream scoop to scoop up the dough, flatten the dough slightly.
10) Leave some gap about 2 inches between the cookies dough as it will expand.
11) Bake for 15-20mins, rotate the pan half way if needed.
12) Let it cool & keep in an air tight container for up to 2 weeks.

Love this healthy cookies recipes as it is not too sweet & not too oily. Best thing of all it does not contains egg, which mean it can be kept longer.



p/s I have tried replacing the butter with canola oil, the result is not too bad. Definitely it is not as flavorful  compared to butter. However, some people just love their cookies crisp & slightly hard. It is just personal preference. It is fun to create your own version of oatmeal cookies.

Tips: You can replace the cranberries with raisin or sultanas.
Tips: You can replace the walnut with almond or any dried nut.

0 comments: