Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Fresh Yeast Quest & Corn Flour


I started baking when I was in standard 5. I baked my first butter cake when I was about 10 years old. However, my serious (professional) baking adventure started when I owned a house & built a full-fledged baking kitchen. You really need space to store all type of baking tools or equipment. Sometimes, I need to think more than twice before buying any new tools due to the space constraints. Trust me. It can run out of space very fast. Besides that, I even bought a marble dining table for bread making & dining. Well, it might looks classic, but hey, it is so practical that I never regret making that decision. Besides making bread, I can even temper the chocolate on the marble table.
Personally, I love to make those pastries which are very practical: tea cakes, bread, cookies & lovely cupcakes. The past few weeks, I am really into bread making after reading a few “bread” books. BTW, you can really fill up the cupboard very fast with all the cook book & baking books. I have been researching into making real bread through internet, books, blogs etc.
Ta-da…….Here is the answer…….Artisan organic bread with crust is the real bread. The real bread for daily consumption only made with 4 ingrediants: flour, water, salt & yeast ONLY. It is quite common in Europe e.g. UK, France, German, USA or Aussie. You will be able to buy those artisans sourdough bread easily & the bread are baked fresh daily. It could be slightly expensive but it is a fair price to pay. However, you can’t find it in Malaysia at this moment. One of the organic chains in Malaysia used to sell that bread, but, they stop supplying now. Too bad, isn’t it? Therefore, I have to make bread myself every weekend.
In order to make the bread, I got to find fresh yeast. Frankly speaking, I am very disappointed with my fresh yeast quest. Tesco stop importing the fresh yeast. I remember in 2008, I bought a block of fresh yeast from Tesco. Since then, I have been using dried yeast which is very convenient. I have spent 2 days running up & down to major supermarket in Klang Valley but no fresh yeast is available. Last Saturday, I went to Bangsar Village Grocer, they told me they just ran out of stock & do not know when the stocks will be replenished. Urgh……don’t tell me that I need to drive all the way to KL to look for fresh yeast? Can anybody tell me where to get fresh yeast?
BTW, I would like to share one tip on bread making. Try to use the maize flour or corn flour when dusting the bread. Maize flour / Corn flour are different from corn starch (refer to the attached picture), It is yellowish. It gave the rustic look to the bread. The bread will looks like it pop out from a wooden fire oven. it tastes really good if you mix some the maize flour in the bread. Corn bread taste so much better when it is made with maize flour compared to corn meal. I always prefer organic stone mill whole grain flour.

0 comments: