Saturday, December 19, 2009

Wedding cake decorating


Since 2007, I have always wanted to learn from scratch from a sifu on cake decorating. It is interesting to know how to pipe a proper flower, how to manage the fondant, how to arrange a 3 tiered wedding cakes, how to cakes for any events eg. kid’s birthday, wedding, party, anniversary, Christmas….etc.

Most of the time, I only decorate my homemade cake with simple icing & piping flowers. Personally, I don’t really like to EAT icing because it is too sweet for me. But my daughter love cake with icing so much. I need to admit that sometime with a bit of icing, the cake taste better. It protects the cake & keeps it moist. Besides that, it looks awesome.

My hubby was telling me that the cakes always taste good but look kind of normal or plain. It doesn’t have the “wow” impression. When the time was right, I managed to join an intensive cake decorating class for 3 days to pick up all the skill. It cost about RM2K ++ which is quite expensive if you compared with a 6days 5 night trips to Korea. Furthermore, it is a 3days torturing intensive course.

Let me briefly explain the meaning of an intensive course, this means after the training, you need to rest for at least 3 days for your body to resume normal. The instructors were pretty kind to us on the 1st day (only). We started at 10am, finish at 6.30pm (30 minutes lunch break) with all the muscle pains that we have endured due to squeezing stiff icing for piping flower. The 2nd & 3rd day, we started at 9.30am & finish at 8.00pm. Nonstop of squeezing flowers, rolling fondant, piping borders, piping figures etc. Don’t forget all the nonstop washing- wash piping bag, wash all the tools after change color every times, wash towels. From the 2nd day onward, you don’t feel your right arm & your legs are so painful because of standing for so long. You will look like a zombie from 2nd days onwards. BTW, we only have a 10-15 minutes breaks for lunch for both days. Yeah.. now that I recalled there is a 5 minutes tea break in the afternoon but I don’t see anybody eating it.

Pressure was high because we need to make LOTS of flower for the 3 tiered wedding cakes. Otherwise, you can't graduate. I feel so thankful on the last days. It will be over soon. Nonstop of working on the flowers, knead fondant, mixing colors, rolling, piping,washing….finally my wedding cake was done. I was GLAD.

My hubby helped to move the 3 tiered cakes back home for photographing. My dotter broke some the delicate decoration (bottom) by poking her little fingers on the beautiful cakes. She kept asking me if she can eat the cake. She can’t because it was a dummy cake. She wasn’t very happy & makes a big fuss. She is fine only after I promised that I will make her a cake the next day.

Thank goodness yesterday has become history. Finally.


1 comments:

Unknown said...

seems like ur skill is getting better oh.. so i can count on u for my wedding cake hor :D