Monday, September 28, 2009

Wholemeal Bread - Tomato & Basil





Hi, today I am back with bread talk again. Since there is still some sundried tomato left (half a jar) & the sweet basil in the garden is waiting for trimming. So, I have decided to make a tomato flavor wholemeal bread. Okay, my hubby pruned some sweet basil from the small garden. Wash it & cut it. Then, I diced all the sundried tomato.
Took out my rye flour ferment (24 hours) ahead before baking.

Four basic ingredients: Flour + water + yeast + salt. Then, add in the rye flour ferment/sourdough. You can see the rye flour ferment in the pictures.It will give the bread more flavor due to the long & slow fermentation. Lastly, add in the sundried tomato & basil. The dough is quite wet, but it is fine, just work on it on the marble table. Then, put the dough to rest for one hour. You can see the dough is slightly red in colour (yes~ the tomato). Finally, shape the dough, rest for another 45 mins, go into the oven, then it is done.

However, the bread is kinda heavy & dense because of high ration of wholemeal flour was used. Of course the rye flour will make the bread even dense. But this bread is definitely full of flavour. This is consider a heavy bread for me. You really need to chew it ....chew it hard.....chew it harder.....It guarantee won't stick to your teeth. A few tiny pieces make me feel so full. It is definitely a healthy bread. By the way, the healthiest food normally doesn't taste as "good" as the regular one. Eg, a healthy fried rice with lean chicken breast meat compared to a regular fried rice with roast pork (there is always some fat attached to the pork).I will use a lower ratio of whole meal flour next time.

Oh yes, in order to make the heavy wholemeal bread more delicious. I woke up slightly in the morning to make breakfast, French toast. It taste great. Tomorrow I will wake up earlier to use the bread to make mini breakfast pizza. Can't wait.

0 comments: